Right now (until May 16th) you can get make $20 and earn rewards points for purchasing visa gift cards at Office Max/Office Depot. Here is the deal:
- OfficeMax/Office Depot has a promotion: $20 off $300 dollars in Visa Gift Cards. Limit 2 per customer.
Here is how to work it:
- Buy 3 $200 visa gift cards
- Purchase with a rewards earning credit card (Chase Ink will get you 5x bonus)
The purchase will ring up as: ~ $621 (3 cards plus activation fees of about $7 each)
The register will automatically deduct $40 at the register for the current promotion. Total charge to your card should be about ~$581 for $600 in Visa Gift Cards! You just made $19 plus earned the points for purchasing the cards. In my case it is 3,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
You can then spend your cards normally, or purchase money orders that you can deposit into your bank, then pay off your bill.
1. I have found that it is much easier to use a credit card to pay for Visa gift cards at OfficeMAX then OfficeDepot.
2. If the store is out of the $200 variety, you can purchase 3 $100 (with 5.95 in activation fees per card) Visa gift cards and make about 2 dollars + points.
3. Choose the FIXED value cards. The cards that have a variable (ie. $20-500) are typically hard coded to not accept credit card as the form of payment.
4. Chase INK gets you 5x bonus points at office supply stores. AMEX Simply Cash gets you 5% back at office supply stores. Chase United MilagePlus 2x points. CitiBusiness AAdvantage 2x points at select Office Supply Stores. Barclays U.S. Airways/AA Aviator could get you 1.5x bonus (if opted in)